Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apartments and teaching and potential jobs! yay!

So first and foremost, we have a more permanent place now!  yay!

This afternoon, we signed a 6 month lease in a cute 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment in Kihei.  They were just recently remodeled and have all new kitchen appliances plus a new shower and toilet.  (Pictures of actual apartment to come soon!)  We get the keys February 1st, so I'm pretty stoked about that.  Now we just have to start collecting furniture, since we have...none.  I'm thinking a sofa bed is a must for visitors, and comfy bed for me!  :)

Did I mention the location?! :)

Location of our apartment.  Look how close the beach is!!!  :)
Google maps view of the outside.  Inside pictures to come!

We were originally down in Kihei today because Justin needed to take an aptitude-ish test for a potential job at the Post Office!  He took it this morning, and found out shortly after that he passed!  YAY!  Obviously that doesn't automatically mean a job, but its a good sign, right?  Cross your fingers, say a prayer, ect that he'll get a call from them.  They pay excellently, and the post office is right down the street from our new apartment!  :)

Oh, and teaching!  Yesterday, Justin and I went to visit Dana, who we met through our landlady Shaun.  She teaches Kindergarten in Lahiana.  We spent the whole day there, with her, and in two other Kinder classrooms, and I got to play with the kids!  YIPPEEE.  While I was there, Justin and I got to chat with the principal, who was freaking awesome.  He gave me (and Justin) advice on how to get going, and encouraged me to start filling out my application for an actual teaching job now, since they start the hiring in April/May.  And he signed my subbing papers!  Which means he thinks I'm not a psycho...haha.

After we chatted with Mr. Franz (on a bench 5 feet from the beach, might I add!), we headed over to Ms. Coonradt's Kinder room, and she let me lead initial sound bingo with the kids.  IT MADE ME MISS TEACHING SOOO MUCH!  :)  I had a ton of fun, and I'm going to attempt to volunteer there whenever I can.  I figure getting my face in a school as much as possible will help me when I get my sub papers finalized, and I get to hang out with kids.  Dana said I was welcome back whenever I wanted!  :)

Oh, and another thing that I got really excited about was that they have preschool/junior Kinder at the school.  That's pretty much what my degree was in!  Sadly, Dana said they were cutting those classes after next year due to budgeting--booooooo!  Oh, and another crazy thing: the elementary school has 8 junior kinder/kinder rooms.  EIGHT!  :)

So much excitement for one day...I'm tuckered out  (haha, much like Kindergarteners)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment