Monday, January 9, 2012

My father-in-law told me I need to post more. :)

We drove out to Kihei this afternoon so Justin could turn in some job resumes at various places.  He's essentially been applying anywhere and everywhere.  I'm hoping something in/around Kihei works out, since that is where I'm wanting to live.  Its pretty central to everything, but still very pretty and beach-y.  From what I understand, Kahului is so close to the harbor that it has some downsides--very windy and apparently the seaweed washes up onto the harbor in the summer and rots...pleasant.  lol.


I was playing with the camera on the way there, and snapped some pictures of the land around the highway..  :)

We stopped at the Safeway in Kihei to see what they had for sales, and ending up getting an awesome deal on rice!  They had 20 pound bags on sale for $9.50!  Bought that, and also found some cereal on sale--though we just bought some on Costco, we figured we should buy some more while it was on sale.  Gotta stock up when the price is good!  :)


For dinner tonight I made loco moco.  Very traditional in terms of Hawaiian food, and also amazing delicious.  :)  I "healthify" mine a little bit by using a turkey patty instead of a hamburger one, but other than that, I stay true to the original.  And its super easy too!  I've been making it ever since I visited with my family 2 summers ago, and randomly picked it out of a menu in Kauai.

Speaking of Hawaiian foods, Justin and I went to a traditional Hawaiian restaurant after our crazy waterfall adventure the other day.  Justin got  a multi-choice Hawaiian plate so we could try different things.  The Kalua Porkand cabbage was amazing, though Justin got to eat most of that, since that was his pick.  The term Kalua refers to how the pig is cooked--that is, all day in the underground oven.  Yum!  

Chunks of Haupia, traditional served at luaus
We also tried out the Lomi Salmon, which I really liked, though it was a tad on the saltier side for my taste.  Lomi Salmon is simply a cold salad mix, consisting of raw, salted salmon, diced tomatoes, and 2 different types of onions.  Justin is a not a fan of onions, so I got to enjoy almost all of that one.  I got the tempera ono (YUUUMM), which came with rice and macaroni salad.  The mac salad here is suprisingly tasty, and is really light, unlike typical macaroni salad made by Reser's that is super mayo heavy. 


Justin's dinner also included haupia, which was really different, but good as well.  Its a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert--essentially a custard.  Fluffy, and tasty!
Our first unwelcome guest

 I finally got around to setting up skype, and had a wonderful date with my family.  :)  After I was done, I went out to get the laundry--the washer and dryer sit on the patio along the side of the house.  I grabbed everything, throwing most of it into a paper bag that I left on top of the washer when I took it all out there.  Welllll...I'm pretty sure I brought this awful creature back into the house with me, because when I turned around from throwing the clothes on the bed, he was chilling right in the doorway of the living room.  Needless to say, I freaked!  Centipedes, on top of being creepy looking, have one of the worst bites ever.  Our guidebook said, depending on the severity of the bite, the best thing you can do for the pain is stay drunk for 3 days.  Awesome, right?  So I freak, and sit on the bed.  Justin attempts to corral it using two plates, but it skitters underneath on of the benches, so Justin chopped it in half with a butcher knife.  And even worse, both parts were still moving/twitching as he scooped it up to take it outside.  EEEWWWWWWW.  I'm just glad if it did get in via my laundry, that it didn't bite/sting me while I was walking back into the house.  That wouldn't have ended well!

As I went back to close the gate to the laundry room, an anole ran into the house.  (Eli informed me that the thing I called geikos are actually anoles, thanks!)  The anole can stay, because all he's going to do is eat all the bugs that came in when I left the sliding glass door open during my centipede freak out.  Hopefully he doesn't decide to crawl on my face though.  Then we may not be friends afterall....lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment