Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's not about what you know, but who you know

It rained crazy hard last night.  It was amazing.  I laid in bed, with all the windows and doors open, and fell asleep to it.  Its also good that it rains here frequently, since that's how we get our water for the house.  It runs off of the top of the roof and into that giant water tank.  Awesome right?


This morning we got up and had breakfast in Pa'ia.  Very cute town, with lots of little shops.  My meal was a bit overpriced (7.95 for a bagel and some eggs?!) but Justin got an egg scramble with potatoes, and the potatoes were to die for.  I don't know what they cooked them in, but they were amazing.  And my coffee was damn good too!  :)

After we walked up and down and poked around in the Pa'ia shops, we headed back to Kahului to buy more stuff....haha.  Went to Wal-mart and bought some food that we didn't need in bulk, and got a plastic drawer set since we don't have a lot of storage at our current place.  Pillows, lotion, and all of those other things you don't take with you when you move across the country...lol.  Found a Savers, which is essentially a Value Village, and bought hangers there.  As someone who pretty much only bought clothes at Good Will/Value Village when we moved to Burien, the Savers was very impressive!  lol, I got super excited for all of the cute dresses they had.  I didn't buy any, because I didn't want to bore Justin to tears while I shopped around.  But I definitely be going back there!  :)

After we got back, we had lunch, and Justin cut up one of the pineapples we got at Costco.  Delicious!  A whole one is $2.99, and they weigh almost 5 pounds!  I could definitely get used to eating those all of the time!  I also got to eat a papaya today--it came off of a tree outside of the house!  Shaun pulled it off the tree when she was showing us around yesterday, and Justin cut it in half for me.  I kind of picked at it at first, not sure how to eat it.  Once I realized I could just scoop out the meaty part with a spoon, I ate the whole thing!  Amazing!
 
After lunch we decided to go find Twin Falls.  Justin read about it in our guide book, and Shaun told us that it was very close to where we live.  She wasn't kidding!  The parking lot is barely a 5 minute walk from the front gate!  I was feeling pretty sluggish, but once we found the bigger fall of the twin falls, I was feeling a lot better!  :)  To get to the bigger one, you had to walk through one of the pools of water, but it only came up to my knees in certain parts.  Then you can swim in the pool below.  There were only 3 other younger teens there, and they were busy smoking weed next to the pool anyways....lol.

Justin heading out to swim

Justin right underneath the falls  :)
While Justin was swimming, I headed around to the back of the falls.

I waded in a bit.  :)

Good God, I'm pasty...lol.  Anyways, after we got back from our mini hike, we made dinner, and now I'm here blogging.  I did go up and talk to Shaun, our landlady, and she said she is good friends with a Kindergarten teacher here in Haiku.  She said the teacher was her kid's teacher when they were there (and they're now my age!)  Anyways, she said if I wanted, she would take me over to meet this lady one day after school, and we could chat about the schools and about me getting in as a sub!  YES!  I've been so overwhelmed about getting into the school system over here, because you have to get on a principle's preferred list before you can start subbing.  So I just imagined myself walking into a random school, and being like, "Hey, I'd like to get to know your principal so I can sub..."  Haha, super awkward.  BUT, this is a way in!  :)  Shaun said because this island is so small, its not such much what you know, but WHO you know.  It sounds like I met the right lady!  Justin also found a preschool sub position, but its only once a week at first.  Maybe that and Old Navy?  Haha, either way, I need to sign up for a CPR class.  It seems every job posting I've seen requires CPR/First Aid certification.  Justin is applying for any job he's qualified for, which is pretty much everything. 

Oh, and kind of random, but Wal-mart doesn't do plastic bags here.  You bring your own reusables, buy theirs, or go without.  Thought that was interesting!

And just because my husband is a dork, here's me with food on my face:  haha, good night guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment