Friday, January 20, 2012

jobs jobs jobs

Baby anole in our bed!!  :)  He's sooo cute!
Soooo...last night Shaun took Justin and I to meet her teacher friend Dana.  Dana has been teaching for 30ish years, both as a preschool teacher (yay!) and as a Kindergarten teacher.  She's currently teaching in Lahaina--says its amazing and she loves it.  :) 

We chatted over sushi about teaching and life and everything.  She was very nice, and very helpful in getting me (and potentially Justin as well!) started with subbing.  She invited Justin and I both to go hang out with her next week in her class, and then she would introduce to me to her principal!  Once I have a chat with him, then I can sign up for the subbing class.  The only downer is the the class doesn't start until March, and goes through April--at least the online class does.  I need to chat with the DOE peeps and find out if their in-person class starts sooner. 

Dana really encouraged Justin to try out subbing too!  In Maui, as long as you have a bachelor's degree, you can sub.  Crazy, right?!  He just makes 12 bucks less a day then me, since I have a degree in teaching...haha.  But I think he's considering it, and I think its awesome.  :)  He's really great with kids, and I think it would be an interesting experience for him...give him a taste of what I do.  :)

Once I take the class and get in the system, then its all a matter of getting my name out there.  If Dana likes the way I teach, then she can always request me to sub for her, and then she can tell other people how awesome I am, ect ect.  :) 

Now I just have to balance Old Navy and The Coffee Bean.  They're both part time, which is no problem--except for next week.  My Old navy manager asked me to start on Monday, and I said yes.  Then I got hired at The Coffee Bean, and I believe training starts on Monday.  Whoops!  Overbooked myself there a bit.  I don't know what time training starts, or if Brandon wants me to work at Old Navy more than just Monday so far, so there's still a lot up in the air.  I just hope I can balance it all out so I work both jobs for now--I don't want to piss off either manager!  I'm kind of stoked to have a coffee job--I loved making drinks at Flix back in college.  And of course I've always secretly loved working at Old Navy, despite having a few shitty people "managing" me...haha.  I enjoy working with people, plain and simple.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment