Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pickle making! :)

Chopping dill
 
The soon-to-be pickles!


 The other day, Justin came home from work and decided he wanted to make his own pickles.  I guess he had been listening to a podcast about these super delicious, but very expensive type of pickles, and wanted some.  After looking them up online, and finding out that a case was somewhere around 100 bucks, he decided to make his own instead!

Too bad pickles have to marinate for a minimum of 5 days.  The good recipes say to leave them in there for 2 weeks before eating them.  But I don't know if Justin will be able to wait that long.   Haha.

In attempt to pull the top off of the peppercorn, a large portion
of the bottle went flying all over the kitchen. :)
   Once we both realized how easy it is to make your own pickles, we decided to venture out into other food making experiences.  I made my own guacamole the past two nights, and Justin is looking into making his own mustard.  (Once he masters that, he can make honey mustard for me!  Yum!)  The only problem with the mustard making is we can't seem to find brown mustard seeds anywhere on the island!  There is only one more natural food store we haven't checked at, but its a bit of a drive away.  Justin can order them in super bulk from Amazon.com, but then I think it would make enough mustard for a year!  lol.

Grant.  His eye freaked Justin out,
but I thought it made him unique!
In other news, I went and visited the Hawaiian kitties at the humane society again yesterday.  The cross-eyed kitty that I loved from the first time we went was getting adopted while I was there--I was glad because he was such a sweetheart.  I bonded with this all black kitty named Hudson, who was 4.

The pet policy at our apartment changed again, so we can technically get a kitty.  I know its still completely up in the air, and it may not be the most financially responsible decision for us right now.  But I do want one.  I think its a cover up for the baby cravings I've been having again recently.  (Thanks Lena!  Haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment