Wednesday, April 25, 2012

And the subbing continues... :)

I'm sitting in a 4th grade classroom right now, and the students are quietly writing thank you letters to the submarine crew that they visited on Monday.  :)

The more I sub in the older classrooms, the more I can see the appeal of the upper grades (I used to think my block buddies, Kristin and Cheryl, were crazy for their grade choices!)  A few months ago, I wouldn't have believed that I would actually like 4th grade!  I think a lot of my aversion to the higher grades was the fear that I wouldn't be able to explain a math concept to the kids--because I didn't understand it!  haha.

So far I've only subbed in preschool and 4th grade....talk about extremes.  But I still love the little kids, and would prefer a younger grade over the older ones. I don't know that I'm strong enough for special education preschool, which is the only type of preschool that the public schools here offer.  I've only been in a sped classroom 3 times, and parts of it seems like I could do it, and then I encounter a child with zero communication ability whatsoever, and I get a little intimidated!  I'm not saying no to it yet, but I haven't looked into how much more schooling a sped endorsement would be...or how much more money it would cost.  But its definitely still an option at this point!  :)  The kids are more difficult, but you do have WAY less of them, and they are still my favorite age at this point.

I had made the decision earlier this month that I wasn't going to take a job at Kamali'i, even if they offered me one for next year.  I was thinking I wasn't quite ready to "commit" and to take on the responsibility of my own classroom.  But then the preschool teacher here told me that he was pretty positive that they had a Kinder opening for next year, and it made me think a third time about my "decision."  I really don't think I could turn down a Kinder opening, especially since it's what I've always wanted.  And some teachers wait years to get into the grade that they want! 

After the last time that I talked to the principal here about potential jobs, I went ahead and applied for my Hawaiian teaching certificate.  From what I understand, all I have to do is get my Washington credentials transferred over.  But the website is a little confusing, so who knows!  The gals in the office said a lot of states don't transfer over the teaching test scores, and that I may have to retakes the PRAXIS exams over here.  I really hope not, because not only did the WEST tests give me a lot of anxiety, they were expensive!  And to actually get my teaching certificate here, I have to pay $240!  Oye!  Cross your fingers for me!  I hope that everything will just transfer over and I won't have to do anything besides write the state of Hawaii a fatty check.  :) 

Well, back to teaching.  Update again soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment