Monday, December 12, 2011

How did this happen?!

Justin and I have been talking about "getting out," about going somewhere, or doing something for awhile now.  We tossed the peace corps back and forth all summer; we considered moving back to Pullman.

We just needed to make that next step together as a couple...we're all grown up, I'm officially a college grad next week, and we wanted to do something big.    What's bigger and crazier than picking up and moving to a tropical paradise?!  :)

I don't think there is a better time than now for us to do this.  We don't have kids, we don't have big important jobs, and we still don't have huge responsibilities.

I don't hate Seattle.  I love visiting the city and walking the streets and seeing all the people.  But I hate the cold, the gray, and the sadness that comes along with the weather we have here.  I hate the traffic here.  Though, I'm pretty sure Justin hates it a million times more than I do, as he has to sit in it 2 hours a day.  I want sunshine, and small towns, and THE BEACH.  The ocean...awwwwwww...

Now, I know Maui is expensive.  That seems to be the first thing that people like to point out to me when I tell them, like somehow they're revealing this crazy unknown information that is going to thwart us from moving.  We've done our research.  We know dairy products are expensive.  But I can't remember that last time I ate real cheese.  And we can buy our milk at Costco!  Or Walmart!  :)

As for living arrangements, we're subletting a studio apartment on the ground floor of a house.  Words cannot describe how gorgeous the house is.  I think if we could live there long term, we would.  But the gal who owns the place is trying to sell it, so its only temporary.  Check out THIS for pictures of our first place.  We're staying in the bottom half of the house.

When we get there, we plan to start apartment hunting right away.  And Justin will start looking for a job, doing whatever makes him happy.  :)  I'll be transferring to Old Navy (haha) so that I have a job as soon as we get there.  Then, I hope to eventually start subbing and/or find a teaching job.  The schools over there are in pretty sad shape, but they do start their first year teachers off at 45 thousand a year (WAYYY better than here in Washington!)

We're shipping our Kia over there, selling the Buick.  At this point, we're only taking what we can each fit into 3 suitcases, and shipping over the computer and xbox.  (priorities!)  Justin is going to buy a scooter when we're on island.  :)

Its going to be amazing.  And when we get settled down, book your flight to Maui and crash with us!

I'm going to be tan, my blond highlights are going to come back, and project fat blog will be back up and running.  There's no way these last 35-40 pounds can hang on with all the hiking and swimming we're going to be doing.  I'm so stoked.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes, now is the time. Yes, I'm jealous like you can't believe.
    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete