Monday, August 27, 2012

Waihe'e Trail- 07/11/2012

My father-in-law demands more posts! :)

So, back on July 11th, 2012, Justin and I hit up the Waihe’e Ridge Trail for the second time. (I do not believe I wrote about it the first time because I may have forgotten to charge the camera before we left and therefore had no pretty pictures to post!)

Waihe'e is pronounced Why-hey-eh, in case you were wondering!  :)

The Waihe’e Ridge Trail is located about 7 miles outside of Wailuku. (See map below!) I like this hike because it’s not too far of a drive out of town, AND it’s an ass-kicker. The elevation isn’t too bad after the first little part, and the views are spectacular! To start, you park in a Boy Scout Camp parking lot.

From the parking lot, you have to walk up this RIDICULOUS paved driveway to get to the start of the trail. I didn’t actually take a picture of the incline (though I should the next time we go), but one the picture below is of the lot where we park, and you can get an idea of how high you get in such a short walk.
Hello down there!
Someone's farm land, and the first views of Kahului behind it
The first half a mile or so of the hike is in the West Maui Forest Reserve, and it very much reminds me of home. It’s always cooler under the trees, and if I didn’t know any better, I would think I was hiking in Snoqualmie.  :)


Seattle?  Nope, Maui!  :)
Once you emerge from the trees, you are on the actual ridge. From here, you have fantastic views of the valleys around you. These deep valleys are remnants of the old eroded volcano of Puu Kukui.


Tiny waterfalls in the distance
Views of Wailuku, and Kahului in the distance

...and before you know it, you're at the end!
From there, you start gaining elevation pretty quickly, and before you know it, you’ve scaled Lanilili Mountain.  From here, you are 2,563 feet above sea level, and the views are fantastic.

See pictures below with explanations of what you're seeing!  The panoramic views are awesome!  



There is a picnic table that you can stand on--facing east you can see the cities of Kahului and Wailuku.  Turn to the SW and see the outer island of Lana'i.  And to the NW is another outer island, Moloka'i!
Very faintly on the horizon, Lana'i can be seen.


Hello Moloka'i!

The top of the mountain!
The actual top of the mountain is very small.  I'm sitting at the picnic table, which is pretty much on one edge, and there's the other edge!  :)

Justin taking a rest!

Hello ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment